Vegan Taco Boats
• 4 medium zucchini (or substitute 4 medium yellow squash or one medium butternut squash), Cut in half lengthwise
• 1/2 small onion (chopped)
• 1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
• 1 avocado (optional)
• 1/2 cup salsa (homemade: put 1 medium tomato, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 tbsp of cilantro, 1/2 a lemon freshly squeezed, 1/4 cup of onion and 1/2 tsp jalapeño (optional) into a food processor)
• 15 oz can of salt-free tomato sauce (or substitute put 2 medium tomatoes in food processor)
• 15oz of boiled garbanzo beans (or substitute black beans or pinto beans)
• 1/2 cup quinoa
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp oregano
• 1/4 cup of water
• Zucchini, Alternative Yellow Squash: Bring a large pot of water to boiling (no need to add salt or oil), preheat oven to 400°F, halve the zucchini or yellow squash, take a spoon and hollow out the center of the zucchini or yellow squash (leaving a 1/4 inch thick shell on each side), chop the scooped out flesh and place it into a medium sauce pan, once the water is boiling place zucchini or yellow squash in the water for 1 minute. Then take a large baking pan, put the salsa in the bottom and place the zucchini or yellow squash on top inside facing up, add ingredients from sauce pan (see below), cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
• Alternative Butternut Squash: Preheat oven to 400°F, fill a large backing pan 1/2 way with water, halve the butternut squash, take a spoon to clean and throw out seeds, and place the halved butternut squash inside facing down in pan, cook until soft (30-45 minutes). Take the butternut squash out of the oven, put halves on a plate, drain the water out of the pan, place 1/2 cup salsa on bottom of pan, place butternut squash into pan inside facing up, add ingredients from sauce pan (see below), cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
• In a medium sauce pan add all the spices, tomato sauce, water, beans, quinoa, onion, green pepper and if applicable flesh from zucchini or yellow squash. Cook on medium/ medium high for 10-15 minutes.
• Use a spoon, fill in the hollow zucchini or yellow squash or butternut squash.
Let it cool down and add avocado (optional) for both the zucchini and butternut squash
A special thanks to Melissa F. from Denver, Co for her contribution to our blog with this recipe!